Sunday, September 6, 2009

*** It has come to my attention that posting comments is impossible without a google account.
If you do wish to comment but are unable, please e-mail me at: RowlandFiles@gmail.com

"The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be and that God wishes to see people happy, amidst the simple beauty of nature."
-Anne Frank

I've been in England now for just over two hours. I flew first from Kansas City to New York, and then from New York to Manchester. The flights were not nearly as tiring as I had expected, the plan came equipped with tens of movies, games, and t.v. shows and two complimentary meals. The girls I sat with were 21 year-olds from Liverpool who were returning from a eight week trip through the United States. After I enjoyed all of the free entertainment that I could bear, I allowed myself to drift off into rest against the wall of the airplane. A few hours later I woke up to the most beautiful sight that I have ever witnessed. A pink, orange, and yellow sunset arose at the horizon level with my line of vision from the plane. Soft, white clouds dusted a surface that may have been more clouds, an iceberg, or an ocean. I could see ridges within the surface and something that looked like a mountain range. I don't know what that "thing" was... but it was beautiful. The view from my plane window became to me something of a metaphor for God's beauty in nature; we may not know the "purposes" that an item can serve, we may never understand the depth of reason within another being.... but it is beautiful, and that is enough.

The most important thing that I have learned thus far in my trip is that I do not and will not understand everything. I've strained myself the past two days in airports to make out words from language, or to overhear nearby conversations and daydream about where fellow passengers are headed; but as hard as a try I can't translate a single word in Japanese or Chinese. So instead, I relax at the train station absorbing the beauty of that which I do not know. I listen to the inflection of the Indian language spoken by the womyn next to me... and am content.

Soon I will board my train to Preston, England and will settle into my flat on the campus of my University. I will write again soon.

1 comment:

  1. Great stuff! I'm really impressed by your writing ability. I especially find your spelling of "womyn" to be innovative in defining endeavors of the modern working female. Way to rise against the shackles!

    I also find the mysteries of the Orient to be fascinating. Their languages confuse and titillate me in ways that I do not wish to understand. The old Chinese womyn who yells at me as I leave her food stand without paying is probably screaming something poetic akin to Robert Frost. But I can't stay and decipher her prose because the cops, regular philistines, nip at my heels.

    I await your next update, my fellow linguiphile,

    King Dedede

    ReplyDelete